Thursday, 1 December 2011

Cannonball Run Day 25 & 26; these days in 1990

Fri 30th - Day 24

Woke up with the sun coming through the window. George had parked just off the freeway surrounded by greenery. Very nice!

Got going again and got to Dallas at around 12.30pm. Found the bank I needed and went in. My money was on it's way but wouldn't arrive until late afternoon (note; I STILL don't understand how the American banking system works/ed! Did I literally have to wait for MY money to be posted to a different geographical location? Is it still the same, all these years on? Ridiculous!).

Anyway, we drove around for a bit, dropped off some laundry and sat writing letters and reading books. FINALLY picked up my money after being chatted up by Shawn, one of the (female) tellers (note; ........ sorry, I just can't find the words to express my cringe-making cockiness. AS I've mentioned, youth has a lot to answer for!)

Then we picked up our laundry after being chatted up by the assistant. She was yuk! (note; AAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

So then the guys ask me what I wanted to do, so I said to go into Dallas to go out. So George puts the van into gear and drives straight out of Dallas, which is why I'm rather pissed off at the moment. Didn't say much on the way to Galveston Island. Read my book and went to sleep, not entirely in a good mood.


Sat 1st - Day 25

(rang home)

Woke up still a bit fed up after missing Dallas on a Friday night. Anyway, we all got showered and cleaned the van out, then took a drive down town. The anniversary of Charles Dickens was going on so everyone was in traditional costume. Very quaint. We went for lunch along the boulevard on the beach and had a proper lunch.

Me and George had fish and chips (red mullet) and Kim had stuffed crab! Then we bought some beers ('cos it was a Saturday) and went back to the RV park to play pool.

Me and George had a row. Well, a heated discussion anyway, about how the holiday was turning into a "cannonball run" (note; hence the title of these posts), and we sorted out our differences. Cool! Drove around town a bit after getting dressed up - shirt, jeans, new boots - and found the Holiday Inn.

Had a drink and headed for the van after speaking with Tom, an RV owner. George and Kim got lucky and spent the night in a limo drinking champers and spent the night in a motel.

Good night though.

No comments:

Post a Comment