Tuesday 27 December 2011

Cannonball Run Day 52; this day in 1990


Oh well, Christmas has come and gone in the blink of an eye and now we're driving towards Tennessee. Found out that I'll get to see Chicago which pleases me quite a bit.

Drove into Tennessee and encountered our first ice and snow since the Canyon; a very pretty place.

Bought some beers and booked into a motel. Got dressed to go out, wearing my new jeans. Went to Printers Alley, then to a $14 club, finally on to Turf. Red flashing light ahoy!

Home to bed.

(note; Two things. Firstly, the picture below is of the huge Michelob bottle I mentioned 'yesterday'. I neglected to mention that I emptied it first!! Secondly, 'red flashing light ahoy' was the little codeword we had between us for any place that made us feel a bit uncomfortable, for whatever reason.

It's a bit of a shame that all I had to say about Tennessee was those few lines above. We sure picked our moments to arrive somewhere new though - there's no doubt when we walked into Turf, we stood out like a whole row of sore thumbs and I can remember feeling particularly unwanted. Looking back though, perhaps we were just tired - we sure were pumping in some miles each day - and maybe we misread the negative vibe (although you could argue that perhaps one person, or two people getting it wrong is understandable; we were FIVE people!)

Still, that place was everything you imagine a busy Tennessee club to be; the place was smokey, it was busy, and with a live band playing very very loudly.

Shame.

No comments:

Post a Comment