Wednesday 7 September 2011

Eid Mubarak



I’ve explained to Joseph and Annabel that Eid is kind of like our Christmas.

But different.

It’s when Muslims around the world celebrate the end of Ramadan, a time of fasting, of patience, of humility and of deeper spirituality, when they feel closer to God than, perhaps, at other times of the year.

Either way, to mark the celebration of Eid, I have always taken boxes of sweets across to our neighbours as a sign of friendship and respect. The matriarch of one of the households, and who speaks very poor English, always without fail questions me disapprovingly, “Is it Halal? Is it Halal?” Her son, or daughter – whoever it was that answered the door – always rolls their eyes, along with myself, in the private joke that we share each year.

And, as always, one of the two families repays our visit with a gift of food (they must discuss whose turn it is ‘cos they’ve never both given us food!), and this year, the food was most welcome. It might not look much, but the mutton biryani was delicious, as were (out of shot) the handmade samosas, which almost caused a fight in our household, they were that delicious.

Apologies for the naff picture but it was around 9.30pm and I’d only eaten a slice of toast earlier that morning.

Hmmm … thinking about it, I’d had my very own fast without even thinking about it!!

Hah, what a doddle!!!




Dunno if I could do it for a month though!

No comments:

Post a Comment