Tuesday 22 February 2011

He makes a good point!


I must admit to being a bit of a questionnaire fan - not the ones that drop through your letterbox mind (although I do fill those out, I invariably talk myself out of posting them - utter waste of time!).

No, the one's I enjoy are online questionnaire's; I fill out several a week from my former employer, the BBC, as well as several foodie sites, most notably Waitrose, all of which land in my inbox awaiting my attention.
Although it feels terribly important, I know full well that it's just an automated email that gets fired out to thousands of others like me, who probably also feel terribly important, and my views just go a little way to shaping certain things as required by these large corporations.

The most recent Waitrose questionnaire that required me to read page after page of similar sounding questions (allowing responses ranging between "Extremely satisfied" and "Don't Know") had several points that I actually felt quite strongly about. With this in mind, I hovered my cursor immediately over the "Extremely Dissatisfied" option, my mind set on getting my point across, hah haahaah!!

The topic was the supermarket's 'Weekend Magazine', available to anyone who strolls into one of their store's; it's completely free, gratis, and totally for nothing!

Bargain!

Or at least it would be if it wasn't getting all up it's own posterior, if you know what I mean?

It's supposed to be a 'food' publication, with Mr Blumenthal and Mrs Smith telling us what we should be eating, why we should be eating it and, recently, when we should be eating it.

Forced rhubard?

Bah!

Anyways, nice recipes I like. Nice photographs of various foods, I also like. The occasional celebrity (A-list, dahling, none of yer Take A Break wannabee's here) talking about his or her relationship with food, especially growing up on family estate, being called in from the pheasant shoot, to be greeted with the warm smell of fresh apple pie, cooling on the side of the AGA, yeah, yeah, believe it or not, I like all that too!!

What I do not want from my food magazine, is the TV listings for the weekend (the mag' comes out each Thursday) and, on the back page, a round of all the current sport. Now this has nothing to do with the fact that I am not in the slightest bit interested in 90% of all sports; if I want news, TV news and a sports round up, there are many, many magazines and newspapers in the newsagents next door, with far greater coverage of the above topics than could possibly fit into 2 pages of my food magazine!

Eff ... oh ... oh ...deee ....

FOOD!!

After clicking on the dissatisfied option, a blank box invited me to add any other thoughts on this particular question, ha haah, so I rolled up my sleeves, got a fresh drink for the task ahead, and typed pretty much all of the above into the small box.

When I had finished, I clicked on the Submit Questionnaire button and sat smugly back in my chair.

It just so happened, that we went to Waitrose the day after and I collected my free weekly magazine (as well as my not-to-be-missed monthly Waitrose Kitchen magazine) and, in order to justify my answers in my qiestionnaire, I made a point of reading the sports pages on the back. I read the first few lines, admitted to myself that it sounded interesting, read a few more, rubbed away a few beads of perspiration that had popped up on my forehead, decided to finish the main article on the sports page that I hate and did just that.

Although I still maintain that I am not a sports fan, I must say that Jonathan Agnew (whoever he is), made a lot of sense.

Thanks to my having a heart of pure gold, I have saved you the trouble of traipsing down to your local Waitrose to collect your own copy of the magazine and have scanned it for your reading and viewing pleasure.

(click to enlarge)



Not a single good recipe inside though!

*grumble*



No comments:

Post a Comment